Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Weigh-in Wednesday


The scale gods have rained their goodness down upon me!

Minus FIVE!
That's
-5,
cinco,
cinq,
half of TEN!

Wooooooooooot!

Okay, I know what you're thinking. Why should we believe a word this woman reports about her scale after last week's insanity? Sure. I get that. So I'm prepared to defend my five.

1. I put on jeans yesterday (instead of the usual yoga pants), and they were a smidge loose. This may not be the most convincing argument because it was the second wear for them, and you know how they're always looser after they've been worn once. But, around here, pants almost always get a second wear. Unless they've got spit-up on them, they're pretty much considered clean.

2. I was very careful in my scale placement. Over the weekend, I almost had Paul talked into putting a couple of pieces of duct tape on the floor to mark where the scale needs to go each week, but he just mumbled something about obsessive compulsive disorder and continued brushing his teeth. I'm pretty confident in my eyeballing skills, though, so let's not allow that to hamper our happiness, k? (Plus, you know I stepped on and off 22 times to be sure.)

3. Faith. This is a biggie for me. Deep breath.
When you're not having Biggest Loser losses, or any losses at all some weeks, you start to question what you're doing and how you're doing it. I want, no, make that need to believe that because I'm feeding my body so well, it is responding favorably. I realized something this week -- I feel like I could keep eating this way for a long time. I feel like I could live this way. I honestly don't know that I've ever said that about any other diet/eating regime/food plan before. I don't consider what I'm doing to be "dieting," first of all, so maybe that's part of it. But I also strongly believe in what we're doing as a family. Treating our bodies with dignity and respect by giving them what they need.

It's just really hard to have faith sometimes, you know? We decided yesterday to continue with some additional testing for Posey. To determine if she has something called "kidney reflux." It's my understanding that the procedure she'll have to undergo (in two weeks) will be very stressful, and possibly painful for her. As a parent, I am so conflicted about this decision. On the one hand, I understand it will be beneficial for her because, after this procedure, we'll know if she has something that requires future treatment. On the other hand, who is going to explain this benefit to her as she's being catheterized and crying? It's so overwhelming for me to think about, I haven't even allowed myself to Google anything related to this, which is probably the only time that has happened since I first laid eyes on the word "Google."

I need to have faith in a lot of things, and a lot of people, right now.
The scale's accuracy . . . eh. This week, it seems much less consequential.
Belief in myself, my decisions, the strength of my family -- that is the power I want to harness in stressful times. The scale has had its day, and it surely will again, but faith wins this round.

1 comment:

Megan said...

OMG!!!!
You rock!
Two more words for five:
funf
hamsa
Thoughts and prayers for little Posey.
Megan